Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mentor log 4

5/1/2008
6:00-7:30

As planned before, I met Nate at the Tate center. Instead of going inside we went to another study place that was beside what looked like a cafeteria and sat inside there. The place had a TV right behind us. Anyways, we sat down and I pulled out some origami paper and we started looking at some origami diagrams and looking for some that we could handle folding. We found some more complicated ones that we really liked and we kept them in mind so that maybe we could try them later. The ones that we liked were the snail and the dragon. I thought maybe we could save them for one of the final pieces that were the hardest to complete to show my progress in the art of paper folding.

I told him that I wanted to try to fold the azalea. I have to admit that out of all of the origami pieces that I have dome I like folding the flowers the most. For some reason the complexity of the is so challenging and the result of such a pretty flower is so satisfying because you know that you did it yourself. I told my mentor that and I realized why the doctors that say that they use origami in rehabs and how it can be "healing" because it feels so good to know that you can create something so beautiful. For some reason flowers gave me the most satisfaction.

So we folded the azalea and I am proud to say that it turned out really well and it will be a successful addition to my origami collection mobile. Unfortunately folding this one took a lot of time. It took about 20 minutes to go through each step successfully. Like I have said before, origami folding is very time consuming. After we folded the azalea we folded the "Bird of Paradise" this one was a little less complex but it was fun to watch a piece of paper transform to a bird.

After we folded the "Bird of Paradise" it was about 7:15 and we started talking about what time we should meet tomorrow. Nate said that he had an exam at one thirty and if we met it need to be before one. So we agreed to meet at eleven and stay until about one o clock so that he would have time to get to his exam.

No comments: