Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mentor log 3

4/30/2008

4:30-6:00



My mentor and I decided that it would work out to meet today and try to squeeze in as many hours as possible before my project was due. So, once again I met my mentor at the student Tate center and I told him that this time I would like it if we could spend a little extra time together so that we could work on my presentation. What we started to do was collect small facts from my paper and he basically gave me an outline. He told me to make my PowerPoint short and to the point and that I need to use up my time explaining what I know not reading off of the PowerPoint. He advised me to begin the presentation with just a definition of origami, then go into the history of it. Later in the presentation, he said to begin talking about the therapeutic aspects of the project and to be sure to include some visuals.



So, when I had my outline all figured out, he helped me gather a few facts from my paper and told me that my PowerPoint and everything that I talk about should come from my paper so that the information stays consistent. This helped me a lot because it made me feel confident that I would have a successful presentation and that I had a way to make it flow together. So after he helped me with discussing my PowerPoint presentation I asked if I could talk to him about how to present my product.

I told him my idea about making an origami mobile. He gave me the idea to make sure that the mobile had dimensions so that the pieces were showing and it did not look like one big mess. I told him that that seemed to be the only way to keep the origami pieces from getting disorganized.

This time we pretty much talked about ideas for my presentation and he told me how to make it sound and look good. We did not fold any origami this time and he told me that we would do some more next time. We decided that in order to get the most hours possible we should meet definitely tomorrow and the day after that. He said that he wasn't sure about the other days because it was finals week. He also informed me that he would be leaving on the sixth of May so we should try to get in some hours Thursday and Friday. So we left it at that and I told him that I could meet him later after school at around 6:00 the next day.

No comments: