Monday, May 5, 2008

Mentor log 2

Monday April 28th, 2008
4:00-5:30pm

The second session with my mentor that we spent was on April 28th. We decided through email that we would meet in the same place that we did before, at the Tate Center. Just like before, we could not find a study room. Since it was 4:00 we kind of expected it to be a little crowded anyways, so we just went to another table that allowed a little more freedom to talk.

When we sat down, Nate asked me what it was that I wanted to cover in particular this time. He asked me if I had any particular questions or topics that needed covering. I told him that the most important thing that I needed to work on at the time was my product. I told him that not only was the product most time sensitive, but it was what I had the most trouble on. We went on the Internet using his laptop and looked up some more Origami diagrams. When he asked me what parts were the most difficult for me I explained to him that it was understanding the diagrams and the symbols that demonstrated the type of fold that was needed.

Nate and I went through the diagrams trying to decode the symbols. Then we began to fold a paper unicorn that was a little more advanced than what we had previously attempted. From this point we agreed that it was easier to learn the symbols as we went and make the product at the same time. That day we made a unicorn, tried to make a coat but failed, and we made a samurai hat. You would never think that folding something into an animal or figure would not take so long but it is actually very time consuming. Every little fold counts. We finished by making long helmet and began discussing when our next meeting was going to be.

We agreed that Wednesday April 30th would be a good time to meet at the Tate center for another session. The time that we decided was 4:30 and we would try to stretch it out a little farther next time since I had a lot of hours to fill in a little bit of time. I told him that next time I would like to try some more advances pieces so that my product would not be so boring.

No comments: